Posted on Leave a comment

Cronulla trawler salvage ridiculed for 'MacGyver' approach – Moree Champion

The salvage operation of a stranded fishing trawler stuck on rocks at Cronulla has been likened to an episode of MacGyver, with a union representative claiming the incident controller stripped down to his swimming trunks and swam out to the boat with rope, duct tape and a knife between his teeth.
The salvage operation was described as “woefully inadequate” by Paul McAleer of the Maritime Union of Australia, after the 25-metre Challenge could not be dislodged from rocks at high tide Wednesday morning.
“You’ve got a 100-tonne ship and they are using a tug-boat that has a six-tonne bollard pull. That’s like trying to pull a parked car down the road using a kid’s scooter; it’s just a joke,” Mr McAleer said.
He said the operation was using a “pathetic, small tug” when emergency vessels with greater capacity were available.
“Sydney Ports thinks this is an episode of MacGyver but they are stuffing it up spectacularly,” Mr McAleer said, referring to the US action-adventure TV series where a secret agent solves complex problems with minimal resources.
“When you have the incident controller stripping down to his budgie smugglers and swimming out to the boat with a coil of rope, some duct tape and a knife between his teeth, you need to question the incompetency of this operation.”
The union was also critical of the decision not to remove the 6000 litres of diesel and 400 litres of lube oil on board, which posed a risk to the beach if there was a spill.
A spokesman for Sydney Ports defended the decision not to remove the fuel from the stricken vessel.
“The hull is intact and there is no threat to rupture. The safest place for the oil is in perfectly solid tanks.”
An attempt to float the 100-tonne ship off rocks near Cronulla Point at high tide on Wednesday morning was unsuccessful and salvage crews will have to wait until Thursday morning to attempt the operation again.
The crew began manoeuvring the longline fishing vessel at 4am on Wednesday but, with the tide ebbing at 6am, it was still wedged firmly on the rocks.
The tide on Wednesday morning was not as high as initially expected.
Four Indonesian crew members, including the 43-year-old master of the vessel, were rescued from the Queensland-registered vessel early on Tuesday morning.
They had set out from Sydney about 9pm on Monday before they struck trouble about 12.45am on Tuesday. No one was injured.
Roads and Maritime Services has launched an investigation.
– with Megan Levy
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.
We care about the protection of your data. Read our Privacy Policy.


Leave a Reply